22nd Regiment of Foot - 18th Century Reenacting
2009 AAR's
22nd Regiment of Foot, What We're About
Field Music
Primary Source Material Courts Martial Transcripts
Bulletin Board
Related Links
Contact Us
Photo Album
2012 AAR's and Pics
2013 AAR and Pics
2011 AAR's and Pics
2010 AAR's and Pics
2009 AAR's
2008 AAR and Pics
2007 AAR's and Pics
2006 AAR and Pics
2005 AAR and Pics
2004 AAR and Pics
2003 AAR and Pics
2002 AAR & Pics
2001 AAR & Pics
Let's Call it Humor

British Brigade/Continental Line Annual Meeting – January 10th

An intrepid band of us traveled down to King of Prussia, PA braving the first official snowstorm of 2009 to attend. This year the events for 2009, 2010 and 2011 were able to be presented in joint session for unit commanders for a Crown/Continental vote.  This came off very well and not only was the annual event for 2009 able to be agreed upon, but we were all able to receive a “heads up” re. other regional events sponsored by both Crown and Continental Forces as well as hear some of the preliminary plans for ‘10, ‘11 and beyond.


The recent past has seen at least two and as many as three British Brigade Events annually.  Depending upon our schedules and circumstances we have generally been able to support at least one and as many as two of these events annually.  But that’s not the way it always was……  When created, the British Brigade’s sole purpose was to host just 1 BIG field event annually.  You either went to it - or didn’t - and then had to listen to everyone tel you what a good time you missed!  Other events might come close but there was always that one BIGGIE!


2009 sees us returning to these roots!  For 2009 the ONE official event for both the British Brigade and Continental Line will be May 15-16-17 at Jerusalem Mill, MD.  We will, of course, have more information the closer we get to the event, but for now check out - http://www.jerusalemmill.org/redcoats.htm.  Great looking site!

Meeanee Day: 

Sir. Charles Napier

February 20th saw us meet at Finnagels Public House in Clinton NJ to celebrate Meeane Day. Special thanks goes out to Adj. Joswick for taking the lead and making all arrangements, who in turn writes the following:


I would like to thank everyone for making the latest Meeanee Day Dinner the most successful one to date. We had a lucky thirteen attendees starting with drinks around 6:00 PM, dinner and then more drinks finally heading for home around midnight. There was plenty of mirth, singing, mirthful singing and video commentary. Most of all we strengthened our bonds of comradeship while helping keep alive one of our Regiment’s longstanding  traditions.

To the Regiment and Sir Charles Napier!



Adj. Harry

Occupation of Taylorsville – AKA Washington’s Crossing:

Click on images to see a larger view.

Happy Soldiers at Washington's Crossing

We started off again this year again at Washington’s Crossing in PA.  Marching and Drilling, Marching and Drilling, Marching and Drilling…. two things that every soldier loves -  apparent by the photo reproduced below. Of course we did take time out to do laundry, sweep out the necessary and all the other things that really bring a smile to the faces of our gallant men.  Use of the old Ferry House for gaming demos and all other buildings at the site did really  add to everyone’s interest and enjoyment.  And of course the fine Supper prepared by Eric Alsager back in the Billet, and the camaraderie of our friends in the 4th NJV and 2nd NJ did eventually bring a smile to everyone’s faces. 


WC 2009


The Tavern

Colonial Williamsburg Under the Redcoat


Hello All

First, I want to thank everyone who kept me up to date via e-mail. We only lost two muskets and one distaff as we approached the event so our numbers were pretty stable going into the event. Sergeant Krentler, Corporal Joswick, Privates Moncrief, Harlow, Joswick, Broadwell, and Guina were in attendance along with Young William Krentler on the strength and drawing rations. We brigaded with the 55th that had eight R&F plus Sergeant Baule. That gave us 14 men and two sergeants for the weekend.

We arrived sort of late on Friday, set up a tent for Private Guina (now known as Private Keene) and rendezvoused at the King’s Arms Tavern for dinner around 7:30. Joining us were Matt Harlow and Rich Moncrief’s families so it was a true Cheshire family event. I’m pretty sure a good time was had by all.

We were all back in camp by eight the next morning for morning formation and roll call. We were to mount the first guard with the 40th, and the 43rd. Saturday’s first guard had plenty of men so the relief went out fairly frequently. We caught one of the deserters pretty quickly and collected a pretty substantial reward for our troubles, (or should I say, Sergeant Krentler collected a reward). Private Roberts of the 55th tried to start a game of chance in the guard house but it got a little out of control and the Officer of the guard took notice and demanded a cut of the winnings. As punishment for such carelessness, Sergeant Baule had us all stand in the terrible hot sun and contemplate for awhile. After we were relieved we took part in one of the “Revolutionary City” scenarios where we were crowd control for a staff meeting and had to help the Royal Navy with a reluctant African American recruit. Later we did some drill then took a break for lunch.


Sergeant Baule with his pointer.

After lunch we fell in for the musketry competition which we won handily with five shots in under one minute and no misfires. I think there was another final formation then we broke up to get dinner then got back together at Chownings Tavern for some evening fun. Rich brought a bowl and some rum and we set up our own little party near the rear of the garden. Some young lady tourists took particular interest in our impression as we passed the bowl, sang songs and enjoyed the evening.

Unfortunately, Sunday came all too early for Steve, William, Gavin and I when the fire alarm went off in our hotel at 6:30 AM. At least we were in camp on time. We would have the last guard mount so after morning formation we had some spare time to march to the surgeon where we quickly depleted his store of white mercury. We did a little more drilling, this time in street firing. We took a short break then were off to Church Parade. This year it was held in front of the Capitol Building so it was a nice stretch of the legs to get there and back. Amen! We had a nice long break for lunch then fell in and took the last guard. We were a little light in manpower this time and we were posted three times.

The Guard

For me, interacting with the public is the best part of going to Williamsburg, and my short time on guard on Sunday might have been my favorite. During this guard we also had plenty of interaction with the CW staff and I believe Sergeant Baule even freed a slave! We marched from the guard to the final formation where we presented arms to His Lordship Cornwallis and stayed at the Present for his entire speech. Finally we marched off and left the city for the nice seaside resort of Yorktown. Those of the 22nd and 55th remaining got back together at the Green Leaf Café for dinner and some "hand pulled hoppy magic".

Sergeants Krentler and Baule discussing the "Stoppages"

Pay Call

Sergeant Krentler and I agree that it was a very successful event for the 22nd. Our rooky contingent of Dave, Gavin and Patrick did extremely well at this challenging event and our two veterans, Matt and Rich, returned to the ranks after a prolonged break with a promise that we will see more of them in the future. Also, working with the 55th is always a pleasure. They are at the top of the game in what we do and we should take advantage of every opportunity to work with them when they come east.

Jerusalem Mill, MD October 9-11 

After once again battling rt. 95 traffic south Gavin and I arrived at the site with enough time to set up before dark on Friday night.  Sergeant Ray Helge of the NJV was there already so we had dinner with him at our tents.  John and his two boys arrived around 9:00 and we helped him get set up and settled in.  Saturday showed the rest of the lads arriving including Sergeant Krentler and Captain Vilardi.  In all we had nine muskets and an officer on Saturday with Ray falling in with us.  Most of Saturday morning was dedicated to camp set up with a little rain early on.  By the time of first formation the rain had cleared and after taking the roll we went out to the field to practice open order tactics with the 43rd.  Everything was taken right out of the new book “With Zeal and With Bayonets Only”. 

After lunch some of us went out to take part in the wood’s tactical that was supposed to start off the afternoon public demo.  After getting hung up for awhile in a thorn thicket we joined the light infantry and skirmished for awhile until the Rebels drove us off.  We waited in the woods until the main Brit force caught up to us then deployed quickly into line and continued the battle until we were either all out of ammo, dead or victorious.  Some well directed grapeshot took most of us out. 

We had a great meal on Saturday night then set up our small tavern.  We had plenty of visitors from both camps with singing and jollification in great abundance.  I heard that some of the skinny 40th Light Bobs who were drinking with us big boys paid the price for it the next morning.  It was nice to see the Captain stay the evening with us.

Sunday had us all stagger and groan out of our tents to the dinning fly for a leisurely morning.  The unscripted tactical was cancelled because of some mix up with the Maryland Parks people so we didn’t have anything to do until the afternoon except catch up with old friends and tour the site.  The public battle played out much like Saturday’s battle except we seemed to be used as a fire brigade plugging holes in the line all over the field.  We certainly got our exercise in and there weren’t too many rounds left per man at the end of the day.  I would say that this was the best event of the year.

Kearny House Tavern Night/Fort Lee

Each year the fame of our Friday Night Tavern at the Kearney House on Fort Lee weekend spreads a little further.  I counted over twenty living historians and easily twice that many of the public joining us for the evening.  The biggest treat for us was a chance to meet the founder of the UK Company of the Re-created 22nd, Ed Wilson.  Ed and his fiancée, Lyndsey, fit right in and spent the night with us, Ed going the distance to the wee hours of the morning.  Another treat for the men of the 22nd and the public was the appearance of Don Hagist, the founder of the American Company. 

Sometime in the bleary hours of the late morning Don, Ed, Gavin and I set off with Eric Nelson  of the Palisades Parks Commission to follow in Cornwallace’s footsteps up the Palisades.  We were accompanied by several members of the public including a Boy Scout troop.    While we took a break before the actual ascent from the Hudson River Don gave an brief talk to the public on the common British soldier, then up we went.  At the top we parted with the public and the Scouts who continued on to Fort Lee on foot while we got a ride back to the Kearney House to clean up and pack up then drove back down to Fort Lee just in time to miss the parade.  It was a beautiful autumn day so we stowed our gear in the officer’s hut and went out to sit on the glacis of the fort by the 32 pounder and soaked up the sun while watching the river traffic below.    When Tom and the rest of the parade returned we gathered up and had lunch. 

After lunch it was time for the public battle.  The scenario was to have the Loyalist contingent attack the Rebels at the block house, meet fierce resistance, then be bailed out by the Regulars.  After giving the Loyalists time to become fully engaged we moved out with one section of Regulars attacking the Rebel position right down the road while the other half (the 22nd) maneuvered down then back up the hill to attack the block house from the rear.  Unfortunately for the Loyalists this maneuver took a little longer than expected and by the time we had pushed the Rebels out of the blockhouse the Loyalists had run out of ammo, been killed or captured.  Well the more glory for us then!   The Rebels withdrew and it was a great victory for the Crown Forces.  

Later we gathered for something to eat and drink in the Officers hut.  Andrew L. showed us the survival skills he learned in ROTC by starting a fire with just flint and steel and tow.  (and a little black powder, and a little more black powder and a little more black powder).  I thought he was going to hyperventilate blowing life into the fire but he finally got it going just as the sun set.  Imagine our mirth when we found a bellows sitting on the mantle.  Gavin and I had to leave but Ed, Andrew and Ray Helge of the NJV spent the night.  From what I heard Sunday was another success dedicated to drill and public interpretation.  It was another great weekend that is becoming a tradition for us.    


Enter supporting content here